This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

Kinect as a Baby Monitor–I set it up in an hour

| Thursday, July 14, 2011
It has taken far longer to write this post than it was to actually install Kinect as a baby monitor.

In less than an hour I was watching my little boy in infrared while he slept in his bedroom. It wasn’t that hard to setup as I relied on one Kinect device and two generic laptops, capable of 40 FPS.

In this post I will take about the architecture and how you can setup Kinect quickly and easily. Even in complete darkness you can see the outline of your child asleep in bed. And if anyone walks in the room they are immediately visible, thanks to the depth sensor which consists of an infrared laser projector combined with a monochrome CMOS sensor, which captures video data in 3D under any ambient light conditions.


What I built

      Simple Design
      The first room is the baby’s room where I have one laptop and one Kinect device.

It took me about an hour to get all this done. But it was mostly making sure the “Free” software was installed. The laptops already had Windows Installed and my Kinect device was like $130. I need to baby proof this setup, obviously. He’s still crawling but as you read this I will find a safer location.

As you can see from the diagram above the Kinect device is obviously in the baby room connected to a laptop. Preparing the laptop and the Kinect in the baby room was easy.

Before doing any of these eight steps, make sure that you have two laptops with a proper version of Windows installed, and make sure you have connectivity to a Wireless Network . Also make sure, from a hardware point of view, that you have your Kinect device. My Kinect device came with one wire that allowed me to connect both to the electrical outlet and to the USB port to laptop 1 in the baby’s room.

Read more: Bruno Terkaly - Developer Evangelist -
QR: kinect-as-a-baby-monitor-i-set-it-up-in-an-hour.aspx

Posted via email from Jasper-net

0 comments: