This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

6 Linux Commands to Make Life Easier

| Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Man
Man is the Manual Page, and holds all the instructions for all the various commands and how to control them. Personally I often find I can’t remember the correct usage for different programs so I use the man page quite frequently. The first part of the output is the most useful, it shows how to use a command and gives an overview of what it does.

Grep
Grep looks for strings or regular expressions in files. You can ask it to look for more or less any pattern in more or less any type of file, including into directories. It’s like “Find in Files”, but better. I mostly use it to check where a function is used before I delete/rename it, or to check what functions are in a given class.

Trivia: Grep is not actually a word in its own right, in fact it stands for “global / regular expression / print”. I’ve been using this command for years and thinking it was a word in its own right!

Read more: The new think vitamin

Posted via email from .NET Info

0 comments: