This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

TextMaker Viewer is a solid alternative for MS Word Viewer

| Tuesday, May 11, 2010
textmakerviewer-7257.png

When I translate, I often use huge files for reference; these are glossaries and consistency tables that stretch on for hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of pages. Loading these files in a normal copy of Word puts a major dent in system performance. Word keeps trying to auto-save them or spell check them, and it simply freezes on every attempt, while I sit there and twiddle my thumbs.

My solution is to open these documents in a read-only program, which never tries to save or spell check them. It doesn't do anything other than simply present them.

I would usually use Microsoft's own Word Viewer for this. It worked quite well for me in the past. Since it's an old program, it wouldn't read Docx files natively, and it kept converting them to Doc. It wouldn't save the converted file, though (because it can't save). It kept on converting the file every time I opened it. Once, I converted it myself using Word and just opened the resulting Doc; it was quite smooth and fast.

That is, up until I installed Office 2010. Once I had Office 2010, Word Viewer started giving me some trouble, so I had to go in search of alternatives. What I ended up with is TextMaker Viewer, and I just might stick with it, even after MS updates Word Viewer (especially if they fix the annoyances I've listed below).

Read more: DownloadSquad

Posted via email from jasper22's posterous

0 comments: