This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

Self-Signed Certificates on IIS 7 – the Easy Way and the Most Effective Way

| Tuesday, May 11, 2010
I have found myself creating self-signed certificates for developing and testing many times over the years.  It seems that they are spaced out just enough that I forget the process and have to walk up that nasty learning curve again.  Oddly enough, while in the end the process is not difficult, there are some easy wrong turns to take and the good information seems to be spread out over the internet.  For that reason (and so I can refer back to this post later when I need it) I am going to illustrate the typical way to create a self-signed cert on IIS 7, point out the major issue with that process and finally illustrate how to solve that issue once-and-for-all.  

The Easy Way – Using The IIS 7 Console

In a post Tip/Trick: Enabling SSL on IIS 7.0 Using Self-Signed Certificates on 4/6/2007, ScottGu illustrated how to create a self-signed certificate using IIS7.  Feel free to skip this section if you have read this post.  For completeness sake, I am going to walk through the process:

image_thumb_1.png

Read more: RB

Posted via email from jasper22's posterous

0 comments: