This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

Running WordPress on Windows Server

| Thursday, May 13, 2010
A few days ago, I saw someone posted on Twitter a question about running WordPress on Windows Server.  Since I had done this for a few sites, I responded with my thoughts and tips.  Another suggested that I post those here, and so here I go.

WordPress is a blogging/content-management platform that has been around for a while.  It has been gaining more in popularity for general purpose content sites over the past year I’d say, but is primarily seen as a blogging platform by most.  Even though I use Subtext for my platform, I have to admit that if I hadn’t already started using Subtext, it would be really hard to sway me away from WordPress.  It’s just the killer app for blogging.  Why?  Because of the immense ecosystem of people using it, there is pretty much a plethora of plugins, themes and tools for it.

WordPress is a PHP application and mostly used on Linux environments.  But guess what—PHP has been running on Windows for years.  In fact, our IIS team created a FastCGI implementation for IIS to make PHP applications even run better on Windows.  So here’s how I got started…

Install WordPress
First you obviously need to install the pieces.  I’m assuming here you have access to the actual server.  WordPress requires PHP, MySQL and the WordPress bits themselves.  You can certainly hunt around for those yourself, or you can use the Web Platform Installer from Microsoft and install WordPress on your box in about 15 minutes including download time.  No hunting for the right bits, no tinkering for the right configs.  Just install WebPI, select WordPress and go.  Honestly, this is the best way to get it started on Windows.

After installing you should be up and running with a starting site.  Login to complete the process.

Decide on your permalinks or ‘pretty/clean URLs’
Here’s the main issue with WordPress on Windows.  By default Windows 2003 is still using ISAPI filters to process requests.  What this means is that it needs something to trigger the subsystem it will use to render.  In this case it’s .php for the php files of WordPress – IIS then knows to use PHP to render the files/logic.

However because of this the default pattern of WordPress URLs on Windows 2003 will be <domain>/?page_id=12345.  For everything.  That isn’t very clean or friendly according to the SEO experts.

Read more: Method ~ of ~ failed

Posted via email from jasper22's posterous

0 comments: