This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

Clone a VirtualBox Machine

| Sunday, April 25, 2010
I just installed VirtualBox, which I want to try out based on recommendations from peers for running a server from within my Windows 7 x64 OS.  I’ve never used VirtualBox, so I’m certainly no expert at it, but I did want to share my experience with it thus far.  Specifically, my intention is to create a couple of virtual machines.  One I intend to use as a build server, for which a virtual machine makes sense because I can easily move it around as needed if there are hardware issues (it’s worth noting my need for setting up a build server at the moment is a result of a disk failure on the old build server).  The other VM I want to set up will act as a proxy server for the issue tracking system we’re using at Code Project, Axosoft OnTime.  They have a Remote Server application for this purpose, and since the OnTime install is 300 miles away from my location, the Remote Server should speed up my use of the OnTime client by limiting the chattiness with the database (at least, that’s the hope).

So, I need two VMs, and I’m lazy.  I don’t want to have to install the OS and such twice.  No problem, it should be simple to clone a virtualbox machine, or clone a virtualbox hard drive, right?  Well unfortunately, if you look at the UI for VirtualBox, there’s no such command.  You’re left wondering “How do I clone a VirtualBox machine?” or the slightly related “How do I clone a VirtualBox hard drive?”

Read more: Steve Smith

Posted via email from jasper22's posterous

0 comments: