This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

10 small Linux applications I can't live without

| Sunday, July 17, 2011
Day in and day out, there are small (or smallish) applications I have come to completely rely upon. Without these tools, my job and/or my sanity would become precarious. These tools range from entertainment to administration (and all points in between). So I thought I would share my short list with my loyal readers. Check out these apps, then pick and choose those that belong on your must-have list.

1: Pithos
If you’re a music fan like me, you probably do a lot of streaming from the likes of Pandora. The problem on Linux is that most of the Pandora clients are horrible. That is, all but one. Pithos is one of the best music clients I’ve used. It’s small, simple, and reliable, and it allows me to quickly choose between my Pandora stations and easily create new ones. I use Pithos every day I am at my computer and would hate to go without it.

2: Kate
There are times when a full-blown word processor is too much for the job, such as when you’re coding in the language of your choice. Tools like LibreOffice let you write HTML, but I find the resulting code to be horrible. And although Gedit is a nice similar graphical tool, Kate has more features and works with indenting better. Of course, for straight-up editing of configuration files, you can’t beat the ease of use of Nano.

3: Terminal
I was going to list a particular terminal, but ultimately it doesn’t really matter so long as there is a terminal window to use. And I do use this tool — every day, in fact. There are GUI tools for most every action in Linux, but you just can’t beat the command line for speed and simplicity. So instead of logging out of the desktop and logging into a command prompt (or opening up a virtual terminal), I prefer to fire up a terminal window like Gnome-Terminal, Konsole, or Eterm.


Read more: TechRepublic
QR: 2588

Posted via email from Jasper-net

0 comments: