This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

This may be the best resume I have ever seen

| Tuesday, February 8, 2011
original.png?1296924317

Over my nearly 20 years in software I've seen thousands of resumes and the biggest chore is weeding out who seems like a good potential match. Unfortunately you have to trim down the list of resumes to people you want to phone screen with, then people you actually want to have come in person. Most of the time you'll see bullet points such as these:

Rockwell Collins 2000-2009
Technologies used: Java, C++, PHP, Python, Ruby, MySQL

Ok great, we use Java and PHP and Python but how competent are they in those languages? They most likely weren't developing the same amount of time in each language. From paper you can't really tell anything so it's a maybe pile because they just list too many things. If I knew they spent 70% of their time on Java and they have around 5% familiarity with Ruby now that's telling me something of value. I know how to better read this person and adjust my interview questions accordingly.

Read more: Jim Plush - My Life, My Codez

Posted via email from Jasper-net

0 comments: