This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

F# on (Ubuntu) Linux with Mono and Monodevelop

| Tuesday, February 22, 2011
This week, I’m attending the Java Posse Roundup to learn about the interesting things happening on the JVM, meet smart people, and hopefully write some Scala and Clojure code. One of the more surprising emails that I got after registering for the conference came from Dick Wall who asked if I could take an afternoon during the conference to hack some F# with him. Dick prefers to run Ubuntu, and I have wanted to revisit F# on Ubuntu ever since I played around with it a few months back, so I set about installing F# and getting it to run with Monodevelop in Ubuntu.

Below is the process that I used to get everything working on my machine. I don’t claim that this is the best way to do things or that it will even work for anyone else. However, I didn’t find much up to date documentation on the web about running F# on Ubuntu, so hopefully this useful to others. I’ll do my best to keep this up to date, so feel free to post comments on your experiences.

Background
Unlike most installs on Ubuntu, mono is tricky. For various reasons, the mono packages in the Ubuntu repositories are significantly out of date, so you will have to build from source to get even semi-recent updates. I decided that I did not want to overwrite the mono installation that ships with Ubuntu, so these instructions will set you up with a parallel mono installation in /opt/mono.

Read more: //TODO: CHRIS MARINOS blog

Posted via email from Jasper-net

0 comments: