This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

Things to install on a new machine – revisited

| Sunday, April 11, 2010
as I prepare to get a new dev machine at work, I write the things I am going to install on it, before writing the first line of code on that machine:

Control Freak Tools:

  1. Everything Search Engine – a free and amazingly fast search engine for files all over your machine. (just file names, not inside files). This is so fast I use it almost as a replacement for my start menu, but it’s also great for finding those files that get hidden and tucked away in dark places on my system. Ever had a situation where you needed to see exactly how many copies of X.dll were hiding on your machine and where? this tool is perfect for that.
  2. Google Chrome. It’s just fast. very fast. and Firefox has become the IE of alternative browsers in terms of speed and memory. Don’t even get me started on IE.
  3. TweetDeck – get a complete view of what’s up on twitter
  4. Total Commander – my still favorite file manager, over five years now.
  5. KatMouse – will scroll any window your hovering on, even if it’s not an active window, when you use scroll the wheel on it.
  6. PowerIso or Daemon Tools – for loading up ISO images of discs
  7. LogMeIn Ignition – quick access to your LogMeIn computers
  8. for online Backup: JungleDisk or BackBlaze
  9. KeePass – save important passwords
(more...)

Read more: ISerializable - Roy Osherove's Blog

Posted via email from jasper22's posterous

0 comments: