This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

Piracy in .NET Code – Part 2 – Even when the code is obfuscated

| Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Continuing with my previous post, one of the biggest security holes I have noticed in certain application is using unsecure Network I/O communication, especially when activating license. I have seen software where they have used the best tool to obfuscate the code, it is extremely hard to disassemble this. But lose out by invoking a web service with plaintext xml for registration and communication. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I am not going to be discussing on how to solve this problem.

I have seen applications which would have a trial period after which the application pops-up a dialog box for activating license. Only if license text matches the format criteria (like xxx-xx-xxxx-xx) the send button enables. To circumvent the disabled button, some of the smart developers could enable the button within the debugger (windbg /cdb) or using a something like HawkEye . This is the first line of defense for the application.

The next thing is launching something like Fiddler and checking out the web service request /response for the activation request. I am sure most of us have dealt with fiddler, and if you are not aware, fiddler gives an option to have a break-point on response from the server. So it is easy to do a Man-in-the-middle attack by injecting your own response or someone could even hack the lmhost file to act as a server.

And just because it is plain text, I have usually seen a bool variable in the response being activated or not. And it is not hard for someone to update the response text and pass it as a response back from the server.

Read more: Naveen's Blog Part 1 – Even when the code is obfuscated, Part 2 – Even when the code is obfuscated

Posted via email from jasper22's posterous

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I just want to give you a big thumbs up for
the great info you have right here on this post. I am returning to your site for more soon.


My webpage - www.pussyxxx.org