This is a mirror of official site: http://jasper-net.blogspot.com/

No Assemblies Found Matching: assemblyname.dll

| Sunday, March 28, 2010
  Have you ever run into an issue where you don’t seem to be able to get rid of that assembly in GAC no matter how many times you try to run GACUTIL or delete it from your Windows Explorer running as administrator?  It probably frustrates the heck out of you and in addition it messes up the working of your application.  You may resort to reinstalling your OS, deploying your assembly on a different machine, etc.  Well, this issue has been a problem for me for some time.  The issue here may relate to machine running x64 Windows.  For my case, I’m running Windows Server 2008 R2 which is a x64 bit machine and I know this problem has also been an issue for my previous installation of Windows Server 2008 x64.  I’m also running Visual Studio 2008.  My assembly has been targeted to Any CPU.  This issue of not able to uninstall your assembly may relate to the bitness of your assembly and the location of where your assembly has already been installed to.

I want to share the solution that works in my environment.  Hopefully, it will work in yours as well.  Here are the steps.

1.       Launch your VS 2008 as Administrator
2.       Create a Windows or Web project, in my case, it’s a SharePoint web part project
3.       Try to add a reference to the project
4.       Choose Browse tab.
5.       Enter %windir%\assembly
6.       Right click on the assembly I want to uninstall
7.       Choose Uninstall
8.       Click OK on the confirmation dialog
9.       It should be uninstalled now

As you can see, GACUTIL installed the assembly to GAC successfully.  However, it could not uninstall it.

Read more: Ted Heng's MSDN Blog

Posted via email from jasper22's posterous

0 comments: